Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jewelry Organizer

I found this project on Pinterest and knew immediately that it was exactly the kind of thing I needed to get my jewelry organized ~ finally!

Here's a picture of my inspiration ~

My inspiration ~ found on Pinterest

And here is my completed version of it ~

My Jewelry Organizer
I went to my local Home Depot and found everything there. I played around with several different styles of wood trim trying to figure out what would work, what would look best, and what would go together the easiest. In the end, I think I found 3 pieces of wood trim that accomplished all of my goals.

Honestly, I haven't made anything like this before so I wasn't really sure if I was getting pieces that were going to be deep enough or would be wide enough. I was in the store for a while that day stacking wood, and restacking, and stepping back each time to try to envision what I was trying to make. I bet the folks at the Home Depot thought I might have been a little crazy stacking pieces of wood trim for an hour ~ then again ~ maybe they're used to that. I certainly felt a little out of place. I'm usually looking at light fixtures, plants, or paint when I'm in there.

I also purchased four packages of silver-plated upholstery nails at the Home Depot. I was originally looking for rubber coated hooks rather than the upholstery nails but couldn't find them. I think it actually looks more finished with these so now I'm glad I couldn't find what I thought I wanted originally. Each small package of upholstery nails contained 20 upholstery nails and in the end, I used every one of them ~ so yes, there are 80 nails, or tacks, on my jewelry organizer.

I measured and placed the tacks with a small hammer. The tacks at the far left are closer together, spaced a half-inch apart, for delicate necklaces. The tacks on the right are spaced about an inch apart for the larger, more-chunky, necklaces. The tacks across the bottom row are offset and centered between the tacks in the top row. At first glance, it might look like every one of the 80 nails, or tacks, have been used but there are some empty ones towards the left side.

In the end, the total cost for materials was $20.54 ~ and worth every penny if you ask me. I'm in love with my new jewelry organizer and don't think that it could have turned out any better!

What do you think???

1 comment: